When racing car driver and business man, Alan Doble Sanderson, bought De Vere Selsdon Estate back in 1924, the grand mansion house had an Anglo-Saxon hall, a medieval estate of the Knights Templar and a Victorian country seat as just some of its former lives.
The transformation into a luxury country house hotel ran from 1924 and throughout the 1930s with architect Hugh Mackintosh adding an east and west wing and creating the statement house that still stands today with its neo-Jacobean style and red-bricked façade.
Today, the story of this hotel is taking a new direction. Now part of the De Vere brand, a multi-million-pound refurbishment is taking place to bring the hotel back to its former glory along with all the luxury and comforts a modern-day guest needs. Think a complimentary pair of Hunter wellies for a walk and really fast, free Wi-Fi throughout.
Phase one is now completed with 54 newly refurbished bedrooms, a new De Vere suite, upgraded reception, Orangery (great for afternoon tea), a new Burr & Co. and a number of re-imagined event spaces. A brand new flagship bar & restaurant, 1042 is now also open and the leisure club has been refreshed. Phase two will see the rest of the ground floor completely transformed.
Garden sculptures have been commissioned for the grounds (including a herd of deer), along with a refresh of the golf-club and outdoor terrace, where guests can dine with views of the wonderful Surrey countryside.